Diigo VS. Pinterest 


Diigo and Pinterest are both very useful websites. They are similar in many aspects, but the main difference in purpose between them is that in Diigo, one mainly bookmarks websites to his or her page while in Pinterest, one mainly bookmarks images or pictures to his or her page.

Some of the useful similarities between them is that one can share what one saves to his or her page with others, and follow (or be followed by) others with similar interests or posts. This is really helpful as it allows us to have easier access to information or resources without having to go to multiple locations to search for it. Even by posting or saving particular articles and images to our page, the websites recognize what we are interested in and follow up with recommendations.

Other similarities that are mutually shared on both sites include being able to post comments about particular articles or images. Though I was unable to find a method of sending a message directly to the account owner on either site, being able to create comments on what was posted in a great way not only for us to express our thoughts about something we find interesting, but for others to see our opinion of their posts as well.

There are some limitations however. While it is possible to highlight text, and make side notes on Diigo, I did not see that one is able to do this on Pinterest. Having said that, Pinterest allows one to post text directly from a post to his or her page by selecting it; I didn't find such a feature on Diigo. In addition, Diigo allows the user to manually input his or her own tags to a post, where as in Pinterest it seems that all of the tags are embedded beforehand based on the content of the image or post.

I believe I will continue to use both of these websites as they are useful, but I believe that Pinterest caught my interest more so than Diigo. In Pinterest, there just seems to be an abundant amount of resources for what I am interested in. I found a countless number of items which I could use in my own classroom as supplementary material. Also, I can see this being extremely useful for sharing resources that I make myself and having others give me feedback about them. Both websites could be more visually appealing, but I do see their potential for educational use.

Comments

  1. I agree that Diigo could be more visually appealing. Believe it or not, it has come quite far from what it looked like in the past! It was even more utilitarian if you can believe that. I wonder, does it bother users that Pinterest pre-tags the content?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog